We hope everyone is well. We want to take this time to share with you some updates that have occurred within the eBay Developers Program over the last quarter (October - December 2022).
eBay Connect 2022 Recap
The virtual eBay Connect 2022 conference occurred on October 17 and 18. October 17 focused on Selling APIs and features, and October 18 focused on Buy APIs and features.
Sell API highlights
The following topics were discussed on October 17:
- Payments presentation, which focused on eBay Vault, Finances API updates, new Shipping Rate Table APIs, and EU payment regulations/digital signatures.
- Ads presentation, which focused on Promoted Listings (Standard and Advanced) and the Sell Marketing API
- Selling presentation, which focused on supporting eBay Vault through Fulfillment API, supporting Sneaker Authentication Guarantee/eBay shipping through Trading API and Fulfillment API, API support for Extended Producer Responsibility, updates to Sell Feed API, and updates to Hit Count in listings
- Shipping presentation, which focused on eBay Fulfillment expansion, shipping label and shipment tracking improvements, and eBay International Shipping
Buy API highlights
The following topics were discussed on October 18:
- Keynote presentation from Nandha Palanisamy, which covered the revamped Developer Portal, new SDKs and widgets, high-level summary of Buy API updates, and API security enhancements
- Buyer Experience presentation, which provided exciting updates and future plans for Authenticity Guarantee categories, Trading Cards and eBay Vault, Parts & Accessories enhancements, and Refurbished program
- AI presentation, which focused on key improvements to search by image, more language pairs supported through Translation API, and improved video moderation
- Buy API presentation, which focused on multiple updates to Browse API, Feed API, and Order API.
The full list of PDF presentations and video recordings can be accessed from the eBay Connect 2022 page.
Update on Digital Signature requirement
Due to EU & UK Payments regulatory requirements, an additional security verification via digital signatures will start being required on January 31, 2023 for certain API calls that are made on behalf of EU/UK sellers. These APIs include all methods of the Finances API, the issueRefund method of the Fulfillment API, the GetAccount call of the Trading API, and six methods of the Post-Order API. The digital signature headers are already supported now on affected APIs, and once we hit the due date, calls to these methods made on behalf of EU/UK sellers will fail if digital signatures are not used after the deadline.
Please refer to the Digital Signatures for APIs guide for full details, including how to create the digital signatures to be included in the HTTP request for affected methods.
The following updates have been made to our APIs over the last few months.
API support for Sneakers Monetization and eBay shipping
To help encourage sellers to list more sneakers that qualify for the Authenticity Guarantee program, eBay will now provide a free shipping label to the seller that will be used to send the item to the authentication partner. eBay will charge a flat-rate shipping cost to the buyer at checkout time to cover the shipment from the authentication partner to the buyer’s location.
The following updates were made to the Trading API to support this new feature:
- New warnings and errors were added to the Trading API to indicate if an item qualifies or not for Authenticity Guarantee and eBay shipping. These warnings and errors will be triggered after add or revise calls are run to create or revise listings in eligible sneaker categories. Developers integrated with the Inventory API will get similar warnings and errors when they use the publishOffer, bulkPublishOffer, publishOfferByInventoryItemGroup, or updateOffer methods
- The new boolean field IsItemEMSEligible will be returned as true in the GetItem response if the item is eligible for eBay shipping
- The new eBayEstimatedLabelCost field will be returned with a value of 0.0 in the GetOrders, GetOrderTransactions, GetItemTransactions, and GetSellerTransactions responses. This will indicate that a free shipping label is available to the seller to ship the item to the authentication partner. The seller must download this shipping label in their My eBay account.
The following updates were made to the Fulfillment API to support this new feature:
- The program.ebayShipping field will be returned in the getOrder and getOrders responses if the order qualifies for eBay shipping
- The ebayCollectedCharges container will be returned in the getOrder and getOrders responses if eBay is directly charging the buyer for the shipment of the item from the authentication partner to the buyer’s location. The cost of the shipping label is shown in the ebayCollectedCharges.ebayShipping container.
Finances API updates
Through three separate releases of the Finances API in Q4, the following enhancements were added:
- Loan repayment transactional information is now returned for sellers who have eBay Seller Capital loans. LOAN_REPAYMENT has been added as a TransactionTypeEnum value, and loan repayment amounts can now be returned in the getTransactions response. The getTransactionSummary response has been updated with the loanRepaymentCount and loanRepaymentBookingEntry fields and the loanRepaymentAmount container
- The amount of sales tax collected by eBay from the buyer is shown in the eBayCollectedTaxAmount container of getTransactions response
- eBay is now required to withhold income tax for all US sellers with cumulative transactions of more than 600.00 USD within the current tax year. To support this requirement, a new STATE_OR_PROVINCE was added as a RegionTypeEnum value. This value will be returned in the feeJurisdiction.regionType field of the getTransactions response if eBay is withholding sales tax for a US seller.
Translation API updates
In the October release of the Translation API, the following enhancements were made:
- Polish to German and German to Polish translations are now supported
- The maximum length of a listing description to be translated has been increased from 20,000 to 100,000 characters. The character max threshold includes HTML/CSS markup tags.
Max pictures increased from 12 to 24
The maximum number of pictures that can be included with each listing free of charge has increased from 12 to 24. This change applies to all eBay marketplaces and all categories within those marketplaces except for motor vehicle categories. Motor vehicle categories also support up to 24 pictures, but the amount of pictures you can include per listing will vary based on the motor vehicle listing package that you have purchased. See the Package pricing for vehicle listings help topic for more information.
Expanded marketplace and category support for Sell Marketing API
Promoted Listings Advanced functionality through the Sell Marketing API is now available on the two Canadian marketplaces (ebay.ca and cafr.ebay.ca). However, there are seller requirements and not all sellers on these marketplaces will be eligible. The getAdvertisingEligibility method of the Account API can be used to see if a seller is eligible for Promoted LIstings campaigns.
Promoted Listing campaigns were expanded to 43 more categories over seven eBay marketplaces. The full list of categories supported for each eBay marketplace can be found in the Promoted Listings supported categories topic. is now available for use on the marketplace, and has also been opened up to the following new eBay categories:
eBay shipping now supported in Order v1 API
The Order v1 API was updated to indicate orders that are eligible for eBay shipping. The shippingOptions.ebayShipping boolean field of getCheckoutSession and the shippingDetail.ebayShipping boolean field of getPurchaseOrder will be returned as true if the order is eligible for eBay shipping. With eBay shipping, the buyer directly pays eBay for the shipment of an Authenticity Guarantee item from the authentication partner to the buyer’s location.
Account API enhanced to support Shipping Discount rules
The Fulfillment Policy methods of the Account API now support Calculated, Flat, and Promotional Shipping Discounts. Shipping Discount rules can be created and managed through the SetShippingDiscontProfiles and GetShippingDiscontProfiles calls in the Trading API, or through My eBay.
A calculated or flat rate shipping discount rule can be applied to a Fulfillment business policy by passing in the unique identifier of that rule through the shippingDiscountProfileId field of a createFulfillmentPolicy request. A promotional discount rule can be applied to a Fulfillment business policy by passing in a value of true through the shippingPromotionOffered boolean field of a createFulfillmentPolicy request.
Two new topics supported in Notification API
The following two new topics were added to the Notification API:
- ITEM_AVAILABILITY: subscribers to this topic will receive a push notification when an item's availability type changes.
- ITEM_PRICE_REVISION: subscribers to this topic will receive a push notification when an item's price changes.
Please note that these are restricted notifications that will not be available to all developers.
Deprecation and Decommission updates
The following APIs/methods/fields have recently been announced as deprecated. Please see the Deprecation Status page for detailed information.
- All charitable organizations registered on eBay’s platform have two unique identifiers - a PayPal Giving Fund (PPGF) ID and an eBay-generated ID. The PPGF ID will stop being supported in all eBay APIs beginning on January 15, 2023. For the AddItem family of calls in the Trading API, this means that the CharityNumber field can no longer be used to identify a charitable organization to receive sale proceeds, but the CharityID field should be used instead. See the API Deprecation Status page for full details on the affected APIs and fields.
- All Trading API dispute calls (AddDispute, AddDisputeResponse, DisableUnpaidItemAssistance, GetDispute, GetUserDisputes, SellerReverseDispute) will be decommissioned on January 31, 2023.
- GetApiAccessRules call will be decommissioned on March 10, 2023; Developer Analytics API is the alternative and is already returning Trading API call usage data.
- The Store.SubscriptionLevel field returned in GetStore will be decommissioned on March 31, 2023. The getSubscription method of the Account API can be used instead to get a seller’s eBay Store subscription level.
- The following two deprecations were announced for the Sell Marketing API, and the decommission date will be April 3, 2023:
- Only one funding model may be used when setting up a report through the createReportTask method. This means that only one value may be specified through the fundingModels array.
- Several metric keys supported for Transaction Reports will be decommissioned. See the API Deprecation Status page for the full list.
The following APIs/methods/fields were recently decommissioned:
- The BuyerRequirementDetails container, used by the AddItem family of calls in the Trading API, was decommissioned on October 7, 2022. Listing-level buyer requirements are no longer supported, so any seller-initiated Buyer Requirements can only be set at the account level.
We hope everyone had a great year in 2022, and we are looking forward to working with the community in 2023! Happy holidays!