eBay Developers Program Q2 2021 Newsletter
We hope that everyone is well. We want to share some updates that occurred in the eBay Developers Program over the last quarter.
Exciting new APIs and capabilities discussed at eBay Connect 2021
Third-party developers from around the globe came together virtually with eBay executives and technology leaders on June 14 and July 12 to experience eBay Connect 2021. This fifth annual installment of the conference featured a full slate of webinars discussing eBay’s latest APIs and capabilities, including a new Media API that enables US, UK and Motors sellers to add videos to their listings, a brand new Notifications platform and enhanced Notification API, and exciting enhancements to the Sell Marketing API including seller-designed coded coupons and Advanced Promoted Listings.
Other highlights of the webinars included:
- An update on eBay’s progress with managed payments
- Updates to Buy APIs, including the Browse and Feed APIs expanding to new marketplaces, a new items widget for the Browse API, and a new version of the Order API, which has full support for eBay managed payments and a new Checkout with eBay widget that allows for seamless checkouts
- Changes to EU VAT, including EU’s new requirements for marketplaces to collect VAT for certain orders/tax scenarios
- Preview of Terapeak Research APIs
Tanya Vlahovic, Head of Developer Ecosystem and Lead Architect for Public APIs was the host for the webinars, and the speakers at these events included the following eBay executives:
- Jamie Iannone, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Mazen Rawashdeh, Chief Technology Officer
- Mohan Patt, VP, Buyer Experience
- Randy Shoup, Chief Architect and VP of Engineering Ecosystem and Experience
- Scot Hamilton, VP of Engineering, Seller Experience
- Erik Selberg, VP, Shipping and Member Communications
- Alex Kazim, VP, GM of Global Advertising
- Shan Vosseller, VP of Product, Payments
In case you missed any of the sessions, you can access all of the presentations and video recordings from the eBay Connect 2021 page.
New capability to add videos to listings
With the release of the new Media API in late April, sellers are now able to add videos to their listings. To add a video to a listing, the video must be uploaded using the new Media API, and to associate the video to an active listing, the Trading API, Inventory API, or LMS must be used.
Currently, videos in listings can only be played back on mobile apps in the US (including eBay Motors) and UK, but stay tuned for more video capabilities to come.
Notification API release to support application subscriptions
The new methods in Notification API will allow our partners to browse topics, create and manage destinations, create and manage subscriptions, and includes an ability to test the subscriptions. The release is backed by AsyncAPI specification-based contracts for defining the message payloads for each topic, and multi-stack, comprehensive SDK support. Integrity of the payloads are guaranteed through ECC signature header.
This Platform comes with a simplified integration model that makes it easy to onboard new use cases.
New Order API fully supports managed payments
New version of the Order API was released in early June, and this new version supports managed payments and integration with the Checkout with eBay widget. Developers using the new API must also integrate with the new eBay widget. With the new widget, checkout is fully managed by eBay.
eBay Marketplace Account Deletion notifications update
The following updates were made to eBay marketplace account deletion notifications:
- All endpoints will go through a validation process prior to being registered. For this validation, the endpoint needs to be up and able to respond successfully to a challenge scenario.
- For any developer application that is not persisting any eBay data, there is now an option to opt out of eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications. However, developers should be aware that failure to provide correct information may result in penalties or having their account disabled.
For more information on these updates, please see the eBay Marketplace Account Deletion/Closure Notifications Workflow page.
eBay managed payments update
eBay managed payments has rolled out globally to all eBay marketplaces, and we are on track to migrate the majority of sellers to the new experience this year. The getPaymentsProgramOnboarding method of the Account API can be used to retrieve the onboarding status of a seller, as well as any necessary steps that a seller still needs to take to get onboarded for managed payments. Any new sellers to eBay will automatically go through the managed payments onboarding process.
In addition to managed payments being available in all marketplaces, here are a few more things sellers should be aware of:
- Any listings not set up correctly for managed payments will eventually be administratively ended in the second half of 2021
- For sellers who are eligible to onboard to managed payments but have not migrated yet, their selling privileges will eventually get revoked in the H2 2021. When this happens, they will get a 120 Error - “You need to create a seller's account.” when they try to list using the Trading API, and they will need to go to My eBay to onboard for managed payments before they can list again
- Managed payments sellers will no longer get monthly invoices from eBay, as all non-transactional fees will either get deducted from seller payouts or billed at time of transaction to the preferred payment method on file for managed payments. The getTransactions method of the Finances API is a good way to view all transactional and non-transactional fees.
Changes to VAT regulations for the UK and EU in 2021
As of July 1, 2021, eBay is now responsible for collecting VAT on goods sold to private customers in both the EU and UK (UK started Jan 1, 2021) when:
- The goods have a value of up to GBP135 imported into the UK, or up to EUR150 imported into the EU
- The goods are shipped from within the EU by non-EU sellers or within UK by non-UK sellers
There are also significant changes to cross-border supplies within the EU by EU sellers.
See this Seller Centre article for more information on the 2021 changes to VAT regulations.
eBay takes VAT compliance seriously. If eBay determines, or receives official information, that you are not meeting your VAT obligations, or if you provide incorrect information which does not permit eBay to collect VAT correctly in cases where eBay is obliged to collect VAT, your account may be blocked from selling, and your active listings removed. You will need to contact eBay before we can remove any selling restriction.
For more information on VAT in general, see the VAT Obligations in the EU help article.
The new schema in the Fulfillment API includes:
- ebayCollectAndRemitTaxes.ebayReference: to show eBay’s VAT tax ID
- lineItems.itemLocation: to show the item’s location, which is helpful in calculating tax, including VAT tax
- A new TaxIdentifierTypeEnum value: VATIN was added to cover cases when the buyer’s VAT ID needs to be shown in the buyer.taxIdentifier.taxpayerId field
The new schema in the Trading API includes:
- eBayCollectAndRemitTaxes.eBayReference: to show eBay’s VAT tax ID
- A new ValueTypeCodeType value: VATIN was added to cover cases when the buyer’s VAT ID needs to be shown in the BuyerTaxIdentifier.ID field
RSS Feeds now available on developer portal
The following updates have been made to public APIs over the last few months.
Sell Feed API now supports LMS and File Exchange feed types
A new inventory_task resource added to support LMS and File Exchange feed types. An LMS Migration Guide and a File Exchange Migration Guide were created in order to guide users from those two products to integrate with the Sell Feed API.
New fields added to Fulfillment API to provide information about eBay Fulfillment
The program.fulfillmentProgram container was added to getOrder/getOrders methods to indicate when an order is being handled by eBay Fulfillment. eBay Fulfillment is currently only available to sellers on the eBay Germany and UK marketplaces.
Listing APIs support Certified Refurbished item condition
Finances API updates
The following updates were made to the Finances API:
- A new marketplaceFees.feeMemo field was added to the getTransactions method to provide more details about any fees that are deducted from the seller’s payout
- New payouts.bankReference and payouts.payoutMemo output fields added to the getPayout and getPayouts methods.
Browse API updates
The following updates were made to the Browse API:
- The API is now supported on the Ireland, Netherlands, and Poland marketplaces
- The following fields were added to the API:
- tyreLabelImageUrl field added to the item, item_summary, and search_by_image resources. This field provides a link to a label that talks about the specifications of the tyre (tire)
- itemEndDate added as a search filter and a response field for search and searchByImage methods
- bidCount added as a search filter and a response field for search and searchByImage methods. This filter/field is only applicable to auction listings
- topRatedBuyingExperience field added to the search and searchByImage methods to indicate if a listing is a top-rated listing
Buy Feed API updates
The following updates were made to the Buy Feed API:
- tyreLabelImageUrl field added to the getItemFeed and getItemSnapshotFeed methods. This field provides a link to a label that talks about the specifications of the tyre (tire)
- Added support to the getItemSnapshotFeed method to capture newly created listings. Users can view the itemCreationDate field to see when a listing was created
getRateTables of Account API now supports more countries
Deprecations and Decommission updates
The following APIs/methods have recently been announced as deprecated. Please see the Deprecation Status page for detailed information.
- Business Policies Management API. This API will be decommissioned on January 31, 2022
The following APIs/methods have recently been decommissioned:
- All Selling Manager methods in Trading API.
- The IncludeRecommendations request boolean field and the ListingRecommendations container returned in the responses of Add/Revise/Relist/Verify Trading API methods.
- The three Promotional Sale methods in Trading API. eBay recommends that sellers use the Sell Marketing API instead, which provides all Promotions Manager and Promoted Listing capabilities.
- The X-EBAY-API-APP-ID HTTP header and the appid query parameter are no longer supported for Shopping API calls. Instead, users must pass in OAuth token values through the X-EBAY-API-IAF-TOKEN HTTP header.
We hope everyone had a great first half of 2021, and we are looking forward to working with the community throughout the rest of the year!