The Feed API gives you the ability to:
- Download an entire category of items from a specific eBay marketplace.
- Download all the items listed in a specific day, category, and marketplace.
- Download the item group variation information for an item
- Curate the items off-line by item aspects, price, product, payment method, ship to location, etc.
- Keep the item information up-to-date using hourly feed files.
Using the Feed API, you can create a rich selection of items and products for your buyers. The Item feeds enable you to retrieve details of eBay marketplace items across various categories. The list of possible categories is available through the Taxonomy API.
This API uses the following resources:
- item - Returns a daily Item feed file of newly listed items for a specific category, date, and marketplace (feed_scope =
NEWLY_LISTED) or the weekly Item Bootstrap feed file containing all the items in a specific category and marketplace (feed_scope = ALL_ACTIVE). See getItemFeed for details.
- item_group - Returns a daily Item Group file of the item variation information for items in the daily Item feed file (feed_scope =
NEWLY_LISTED) or the weekly Item Group Bootstrap feed file containing the variation information for the items in the Item Bootstrap feed file (feed_scope = ALL_ACTIVE). See getItemGroupFeed for details.
- item_snapshot - Returns an hourly gzip file of items that have been changed in a category and marketplace on a specific date and hour. See getItemSnapshotFeed for details.
In addition to the API, there is an open source Feed SDK written in Java that downloads and unzips the feed file and lets you specify field filters to curate the items in the file.
When used with the other Buy APIs, the Feed API lets you create shopping/buying opportunities virtually anywhere. For example, your buyers can have a seamless buying experience woven into a social application. This section outlines the high-level use cases for the Feed API.
Get a daily feed files of newly listed items
You can download a daily Item or Item Group feed file that contains the items or the item group (variation) information for newly listed items for a specific date and category.
Get the weekly feed files of all the items in a category
You can download the weekly Item Bootstrap or Item Group Bootstrap feed file containing items or item group (variation) information for all the items in category.
Curate the items
You can curate the items in any feed file by the fields returned in the feed file to create a shopping experience specifically for your shoppers. For a list of fields returned in the feed file see getItemFeed.
Update item details
Item details, such as quantity and price, change often on eBay so you will need check for changes in the items you have stored. You can use:
- The getItemSnapshotFeed method to retrieve an hourly TSV_GZIP feed file of the items that have changed within an hour by category.
- The Browse API getItem method to get the latest details of a specific item. This is often used to check price and quantity because these values change rapidly.
Please note the following constraints for the Feed API.
Note: In addition to the Feed API restrictions below, there are also requirements for using the Buy APIs. For more information, see Buy APIs Requirements.
For a list of the supported eBay sites for all the Buy APIs, see Buy API Support by Marketplace.
To specify the site of the feed files, set the X-EBAY-C-MARKETPLACE-ID request header to the site. For example:
X-EBAY-C-MARKETPLACE-ID = EBAY_GB
eBay policies and rules
Although the eBay Buy APIs are available for anyone to use in eBay's sandbox environment, use of the APIs in production is restricted. Users must meet standard eligibility requirements, get approvals from eBay support organizations, and sign contracts with eBay and PayPal to access the Buy APIs in production.
See Buy APIs Requirements in the Buying Integration Guide for more information.