Browse API Overview
The Browse API is part of the eBay Buy APIs. It retrieves items and item details for active eBay listings to help buyers find the items they want to buy easily. Use the Browse API with the Order API to create a buying application that lets users, eBay members or guests, buy from eBay sellers without visiting the eBay site. The Buy APIs provide a unique opportunity to bring off-eBay purchases to your site.
Using the Browse API, you can create a rich selection of items for your buyers to browse with keyword and category searches.
Browse API resources
- item_summary – basic information for an item or a group of items, such as title, pricing, images, shipping, and seller. It also includes refinements, such as item condition, buy options, category, and item aspects (color, brand, etc.).
- item - detailed information for a purchasable items to enable users to make buying decisions. In addition to the basic item information and providing additional information about shipping, seller, etc., the item details include product review data, item location, return policy terms, and more. This resource also provides a bridge between the RESTful Buy APIs and the legacy APIs, such as Trading and Finding.
For more details, see Buying Integration Guide.
When used with the other Buy APIs, the Browse API lets you create shopping/buying opportunities virtually anywhere. For example, your buyers can have a seamless buying experience woven into a social application.
The Browse API is designed to be used together with the Buy APIs to create cohesive shopping, browsing, buying applications.
The Buy API identifiers for item and order do not match the identifiers used on the eBay site and in buyer emails. So you cannot use the Buy APIs identifiers with the eBay legacy APIs, such as Trading and Finding. But you can use the eBay legacy APIs item identifiers with the Buy APIs. For details, see the Legacy API compatibility section of the Buying Integration Guide.
The Browse API is currently supported for the following eBay sites.
- EBAY-AU - Australia (ebay.com/au)
- EBAY-CA - Canada (English) (ebay.ca)
- EBAY-DE - Germany (ebay.de)
- EBAY-ES - Spain (ebay.es)
- EBAY-FR - France (ebay.fr)
- EBAY-IT - Italy (ebay.it)
- EBAY-UK - Great Britain (ebay.co.uk)
- EBAY-US - USA (ebay.com)
eBay policies and rules
Although the eBay Buy APIs are available for anyone to use in eBay's sandbox environment, use of the APIs in production is restricted. Users must meet standard eligibility requirements, get approvals from eBay support organizations, and sign contracts with eBay and PayPal to access the Buy APIs in production.
See Production eligibility requirements in the Buying Integration Guide for more information.