Introduction to Pictures in Listings
Pictures make an item more appealing, and give buyers a better idea of the item's appearance. A picture that is stored on the eBay site is stored under eBay Picture Services (EPS). A self-hosted picture is stored on a different site. At least one picture is required for each listing. Using lots of high-quality pictures is a great way to help sell your item. Up to 12 pictures can be added to any listing in any category at no cost. Up to 24 pictures can be added for motor vehicle listings, but the seller is charged $0.15 for each picture beyond the first 12.
- All listing must have at least one image.
- The size of an image must be no smaller than 1 x 1 px and no larger than 12,000 px (i.e., height +width <=1200 px).
- The length of the 'width' plus 'height' of an image must be equal to or less than 12,000 pixels.
- The maximum image file size is 12 MB.
- Images cannot have borders.
- Images cannot have seller-added text or seller-added artwork.
- For used items, sellers cannot use an eBay catalog stock photo as the primary photo for a used item. At least one seller-provided photo of the actual item must be included.
- Images must be in JPG, BMP, GIF, TIF, or PNG format.
- The GIF87 format is not supported.
- TIF images with transparent background are not supported - the transparency can result in a black image.
- JPG images must use the RGB color space. The CMYK color space is not supported. See CMYK Color Format for information about detecting images using the CMYK format and how to convert them to RGB.
- Images in TIF and BMP are converted to JPG.
- The recommended JPG quality is 90 or greater.
Best Practice: If you use image processing editors or utilities to prepare your pictures for uploading (for example, to crop, rotate, or color correct your images), avoid using the "Save for the Web" commands (or other picture-saving options) in your program. These commands often result in reduced image quality after the uploaded pictures are processed by EPS. Instead, use the standard Save command with your image-processing tools.
Important to note: Self-hosted pictures must meet these requirements. However, when creating a listing, self-hosted pictures cannot be checked to ensure that they comply with the picture requirements. Self-hosted pictures that do not comply, may not show up in the listing and revising or relisting the item may fail due to picture requirement violations.
Additional Information About Using Pictures
For more information on adding pictures to listings, see Working with Pictures in an Item Listing and the following eBay help pages.
Adding photos to your listing
Photo quality requirements
Take great photos
Using Picture Pack
For more information on controlling the display of pictures in a listing, see the description of the Item.PictureDetails.PhotoDisplay field in the AddItem call reference.
Copyright © 2005–2017 eBay Inc. All rights reserved. This documentation and the API may only be used in accordance with the eBay Developers Program and API License Agreement.